General Category > Meta Forum

Suggestions for this forum

(1/8) > >>

Eros Olmi:
Hi José,

if I can permit to suggest something for this forum ...

* "Karma Description Mod" from http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=192
It gives a complete new way to handle Karma with a more human and involving way, letting users to indicate the reason why you set up or down other's karma and linking that reasons to exact post. Just having a number is not so nice and gives nothing to people reading the forum.
* "GeSHiSmf" from http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=200
As you can see from my site, having colored syntax when posting code is another story.

Ciao
Eros

José Roca:

Hi Eros,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm avoiding to install mods because they become a problem when new versions of the forum software are released. When version 2.0 of the forum will be released, all the mods will become incompatible. It already has been announced that "The upgrade will remove any currently-installed mods. You'd need to wait for the mod authors to upgrade their mods."

The manager of the CodingMonkeys forum already complained of not being able to update it from 1.1 RC3 to the current version because of the lack of updated versions of some mods he is using.

Eros Olmi:
Yes, you are right. SMF forum suffer a lot the way mods are handled, I mean directly to the template code other than mounted as external extensions loaded dynamically.

In any case do not keep "Blue Steel" as an example because he installed so many mods in CodingMonkeys that I do not know how the forum can still work :)
He did that as a try to get more users and more vitality to the forum but I do not think it was a good move.
Here you are making a great job remaining professional on the contents so I'm pretty sure sooner or later many users will populate this board (maybe tired of old PB forum).

Ciao
Eros

Eros Olmi:
Just a last note bout SMF mods.
It is important to check if mods have been updated at during SMF version change. All the one I have installed are all updated at least 5 times and been present in all major SMF updates.

In any case, even if a little weak on mods aspect, SMF is really good.

Ciao
Eros

José Roca:

Thanks. PB needs to change the forum software and close the Café.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version